Skip to main content

May Our Hearts Always Break

     Today I was giving a tour to a team that was visiting. We met and I told them about NL; how it was started and what we do and how we reach out to women. We're located in one Bangkok's many red light districts and usually after a tour the visiting team and I will walk to the offices. Often I hear teams express their shock at how out in the open and tolerated exploitation is in these areas. I watch their faces as we pass by various places and people in the middle of the afternoon on a week day. Things that should shock me, but I walk past them every day. Things that maybe they're being exposed to for the first time, but between my short time here and volunteering back in the states things I have known about or I have seen first hand multiple times. Does my heart really break the way it should? Have I become so used to the darkness around me that it doesn't phase me the way it used to?
     I remember reading a blog post from Love146 where they talk about having the wind knocked out of them after receiving the youngest child they had ever had into their care. They talk about how we're often told that in order to do this work we have to have "thick skin," but in reality having the wind knocked out of you and having your heart broken by what's around you is a good thing. In their post the use this quote from Henri Nouwen,
                   "Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human."
     They went on to say,
                   "In other words...don't thicken your skin. Keep it thin."
     Yes, I think you need to be strong enough to not let what you do and see destroy you. You need to allow God to strengthen you so you can help others. You need to be able to help others without becoming a blubbering heap on the floor in front of them. Yet, I think there is something to be said for allowing your heart to be broken on a regular basis for the hurting around you. As I've continued on with my day this is something I've been mulling over and thinking about.
     As I continue on my journey here in Thailand and even beyond this I hope that my heart never stops breaking. I pray that as I grow used to the cities and people around me I never stop seeing their need for the gospel. I don't want to be so caught up in my experiences that I forget about the people around me and their needs. It's not about what I can see and experience. It's about Jesus. I pray that every time I see brokenness around me my heart breaks and it would renew my desire to see all live in freedom. I never want to become used to exploitation here or anywhere else. May familiarity never replace my passion and compassion for people. May I never become so jaded that ministry becomes mundane and simply routine. I pray that the reality of brokenness will continually shake me to my core so that I will never stop fighting on their behalf for their freedom.
     I pray for all of us; whatever our calling, passion, or ministry. I pray that we never grow cold and we never give up. May we always be sensitive to the desperation around us and may we always respond in a way that declares and presents healing, compassion, and freedom.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Arrived & Thank You

     Hello all! I have officially arrived in Bangkok. It was a long ride here but I have finally made it. I wanted to take this time to thank all of you. Thank you for sending me money, for praying for me, encouraging me, and supporting me all around. I wouldn't be here without you. I won't lie being here is nerve wracking and I'm already homesick, but I'm also excited for the things in store and all that I know God is going to do in my time here. You have all made this possible and that's incredible.      Special thanks to everyone who has provided enough cards and letters of encouragement to last me my whole trip. I don't even know everyone that gave Brooke cards to give to me but I am so excited to open them. I know each of them will be divinely timed and I will receive so much from them. I get to open the first one Monday!       Church Family: I want to say thank you to everyone at LWC for being the most incredible and loving church family. I can't bel

Seven Year Dream

     Just in case you missed it. I finished my month of training with ISM and I am now at my internship. I am so thankful for my amazing month with ISM. I was able to learn so much and grow with an amazing group of people. The likelihood of falling flat on my face without the help of ISM would be much greater than it is now that I was able to spend that time in training and transition. However, I am so happy to finally be at Nightlight working and serving. I serve in the office as an office assistant, but within that role I am blessed to be able to do a number of different things. I do some data entry, work sales, clean the showroom, give tours, attend outreach, I have the opportunity to teach English once a week for some of the women, and I help with whatever else needs to be done.      Some times working in an office or cleaning a room can seem mundane and pointless, but when I truly stop and think about the reality of where I am and what I'm doing I find myself being blown away

Daydreaming to Training

1 Timothy 4:7-8 "Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."      Right before New Years I read this verse during my morning time with Jesus and as soon as I read it, it cut deep. As soon as I read it I knew that God was going to start working on me and speaking to me about everything this verse contained, if I was willing to let him. I wrote the passage down on a note card and tucked it into my Bible in a place I knew I would see it everyday. I would read it every day, pray it every day, and work on really applying it to my life.      If you click on over to the "about" page on this blog you'll find that I am a self-declared "avid daydreamer." I am someone who has, my entire life, lived somewhere on the line between reality and fiction. If asked t