Skip to main content

Where Home Is

     I wanted to take some time to thank everyone for the support, prayer, encouragement, cards, packages, and help they provided during my time in Thailand as well as give a bit of a summary of my time in Thailand. In case you missed it, which is probable since I forgot to update everyone, I
have been back in the States for about a month now. In some ways I feel like I have been gone forever and in others it feels like I was preparing to leave for Thailand just yesterday and there's no way I can already have been there and gone. Yet, here I am. I had no idea that six months could fly by so quickly and still contain so much. Sometimes it's funny to think about the fact that for almost seven years before landing within its borders, being in Thailand was something I was dreaming about and now it's happened and been over. Life really is a wild ride. 
     The last couple of months before I headed out I began to question myself and panic. I started zeroing in on all of the uncertainties, things and people I was leaving behind, and milestones I felt like I would be missing out on. I began to ask myself if I was making the right decision, if I was capable, or what would happen if I failed. I was terrified. The first few weeks after arriving were rough too. I was still afraid and uncertain. It was the first time in my life I had really ever moved somewhere were I knew absolutely no one before getting there, even a little bit, and I was homesick. I felt unsure of the new culture around me and I was doubting myself
even more than I had before I left. Thankfully, by the grace of God, and with help and community from everyone at ISM, and the prayer and encouragement from everyone back home, I was able to adjust and overcome and those few weeks of homesickness and crying are a blur to look back on. 
     As my time in Thailand progressed I became more familiar with how to navigate the city, the culture around me, my role within my internship, and I even managed to learn a little bit of Thai. I found a church and was blessed with incredible friendships that were formed, with expats and locals alike. I remember walking from the bts station to my house one day and realizing that I didn't feel out of place anymore. I wasn't unsure of myself, I felt like I belonged. At that realization I had to take a step back and thank God for allowing me to finally be in such an incredible place and to be able to thrive there as well.
     Within my role at my internship I spent most of my time in the office just doing whatever needed to be done, filling in the gaps of things that had been pushed to the back burner for whatever reason. I was able to help coordinate visiting short term teams while our volunteer coordinator was visiting her family, I cleaned and organized the show room, gave tours to visitors, and whatever else I was asked to do. However, of everything I did during my time there, there are two things that are definitely my favorites. 
     One of the things that I was able during the work week was teach a Friday afternoon English class
for some of the Thai women that I worked with in the office and throughout the organization. If I'm being honest I was not confident in my teaching abilities whatsoever, but I was asked to do it so I did. Now that it's over I'm still not confident in my teaching abilities. English class was always so much fun, I think we laughed more than we did any learning. It was always interesting too. I would go in with a lesson and instead I would spend the entire class period explaining the difference between neighbor and neighborhood, or the differences between don't and doesn't. It was also a time when I was really able to get to know the women I worked with and form friendships that went outside of work. In fact I regularly get messages from some of my friends from that class, always in the middle of the night, but it makes my day to wake up and see those messages waiting for me. 
     The other thing that I absolutely loved doing was outreach. About once a week we would go into the bars in one of the red light districts and just talk to the women that worked there. We would go in
and visit the women week after week and work on forming relationships with these women. The ultimate goal was to invite them to our outreach center for various programs, build friendships, and provide them with any resources or assistance they may need. Being able to go in and talk and form friendships with these women and be able to pour into them was hands down my favorite thing to do. I was fortunate enough to be able to form a good relationship with one Mama San in particular. The first time we met we miraculously managed to click fairly quickly. Our first meeting ended with a hug and being dubbed her "white daughter." Each time I was able to visit her I was greeted with same hug and a variation of, "my daughter has come to see me." I looked forward to seeing my "Mama" every week, it quickly became the highlight of my week. Over the course of a few months we were able to have more serious conversations and get to know each other better. We talked about her family, what brought her to the bar, whether or not she liked, and whatever else came up. Saying goodbye to her was one of the hardest goodbyes I have ever had. Thankfully on my last outreach I was able to connect her to another staff member and they seemed to hit it off as well. I'm thankful that as an organization we will be able to continue a  relationship with her even I'm no longer able to be a physical presence in her life. The love I have for my Thai Mama and every other person I met and worked with continues to astound me and amaze me. I continue to think about her and pray for her on a regular basis, I wonder how she's doing, and I miss our weekly meeting so much it hurts a little bit from time to time. I am just so grateful to have been able to be part of her life for even just a few months,

     This morning I was looking through my Instagram posts from my time across the ocean this morning  and I noticed a theme in the comments I made that accompanied each post. A theme of home. As terrified as I was before and directly after I got there, in such a short amount of time Thailand somehow became my home. Even a month out looking back over my life I can honestly say no place has ever felt as much like home as that nation, and interestingly enough it's the place where I spent the least amount of time. I am so thankful for everyone that equipped me and encouraged me to go. I am also so blessed by and grateful for the community and people that were awaiting me when I got there. From the friendships I was able to form during my month at ISM, to the friends I made at work, to outreach, to church, to my incredible
housemates, and everyone else I met and became friends with; you all mean the world to me and I love you so very much. You each played a vital part in my life and in making Thailand home. While I am expectant for this next phase in life I think I will always be in love with the Kingdom of Thailand and it's people and I am looking forward to the day I am able to return to my new found home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Arrived & Thank You

     Hello all! I have officially arrived in Bangkok. It was a long ride here but I have finally made it. I wanted to take this time to thank all of you. Thank you for sending me money, for praying for me, encouraging me, and supporting me all around. I wouldn't be here without you. I won't lie being here is nerve wracking and I'm already homesick, but I'm also excited for the things in store and all that I know God is going to do in my time here. You have all made this possible and that's incredible.      Special thanks to everyone who has provided enough cards and letters of encouragement to last me my whole trip. I don't even know everyone that gave Brooke cards to give to me but I am so excited to open them. I know each of them will be divinely timed and I will receive so much from them. I get to open the first one Monday!       Church Family: I want to say thank you to everyone at LWC for being the most incredible and loving church family. I can't bel

Seven Year Dream

     Just in case you missed it. I finished my month of training with ISM and I am now at my internship. I am so thankful for my amazing month with ISM. I was able to learn so much and grow with an amazing group of people. The likelihood of falling flat on my face without the help of ISM would be much greater than it is now that I was able to spend that time in training and transition. However, I am so happy to finally be at Nightlight working and serving. I serve in the office as an office assistant, but within that role I am blessed to be able to do a number of different things. I do some data entry, work sales, clean the showroom, give tours, attend outreach, I have the opportunity to teach English once a week for some of the women, and I help with whatever else needs to be done.      Some times working in an office or cleaning a room can seem mundane and pointless, but when I truly stop and think about the reality of where I am and what I'm doing I find myself being blown away

Daydreaming to Training

1 Timothy 4:7-8 "Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."      Right before New Years I read this verse during my morning time with Jesus and as soon as I read it, it cut deep. As soon as I read it I knew that God was going to start working on me and speaking to me about everything this verse contained, if I was willing to let him. I wrote the passage down on a note card and tucked it into my Bible in a place I knew I would see it everyday. I would read it every day, pray it every day, and work on really applying it to my life.      If you click on over to the "about" page on this blog you'll find that I am a self-declared "avid daydreamer." I am someone who has, my entire life, lived somewhere on the line between reality and fiction. If asked t