Skip to main content

Hold On, God's Got You

     Exactly, eighty-four days ago I started 100 Days To Brave by Annie F. Downs, a devotional gifted
to me by an incredibly sweet friend. I know it's been eighty-four days because each day is numbered. which is super nifty, and each day has been so so good. This blog post comes from day fifty-seven in the devotional. It's one of the many days I find myself going back to time and time again. rereading the phrases I highlighted and underlined, looking up the passages of scripture Annie references and the ones I scribbled into the margins myself.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (ESV)
"For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." 

     Man, sometimes I read this verse and I'm like, "Yes Jesus! Everything is temporary and better things are coming." Other days I read this verse and it hurts, it hurts because, Jesus this pain that I'm going through is so much. How can I focus on the things of eternity when I'm drowning. I can barely focus on breathing, let alone on eternity. Focusing in eternity is difficult and sometimes it feels like some sort of impossible mandate that I'm supposed to fulfill in order to be a good Christian. It's not a punishment though, it's something God asks of us because He loves us. Focusing on eternity isn't a punishment, it's another way God gives us hope. Is it difficult? Yeah it is, because life is difficult. Life is  insanely difficult and messy. That's why God wants us to focus on eternity, life may be painful and messy, but eternity. Man, eternity is what we're working for. Eternity is the thing that waits for us at the finish line.

     The most difficult part of focusing onto eternity is simply holding on. Holding on to faith, to God, to joy, to hope, to the knowledge that there's even an ending coming. Depression, abuse, illness, finances, jobs, kids, relationships, school, politics, strife, and just daily life can be a lot to handle. It can be overwhelming. I get it. I've been there. I frequently find myself still there. Sometimes it's easier to give up, to just let go. Cancer, that's really really big. Depression is big. Finances are big. The chaos of every day life is big. Keeping your tiny humans alive is huge! It is all big, it's bigger than us. You know what it's not though? It is not bigger than God. It will never be bigger than God. Even when hoping that you will ever get it together or overcome or be healed seems foolish. God has got you. Friend, God has got you. You just have to hold on. 

     There is no answer to when you're supposed to let go, because I don't believe that we are ever supposed to let go. Not of God. Some days it will be easier to hold on than others. Some days will feel like skipping through a field holding hands with Jesus and some days you are going to be a sobbing wreck clinging to your Father as tightly as you're capable of. Friend, whatever you are going through, whatever you are facing, hold on. I promise you this, hold on to God and he will hold on to you and he will never let go of you. God's got this. God's got you. God will carry you to the eternity that He's asked you to focus on. He is the eternity that's waiting in front of you. Hold on sweet friend, hold on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Arrived & Thank You

     Hello all! I have officially arrived in Bangkok. It was a long ride here but I have finally made it. I wanted to take this time to thank all of you. Thank you for sending me money, for praying for me, encouraging me, and supporting me all around. I wouldn't be here without you. I won't lie being here is nerve wracking and I'm already homesick, but I'm also excited for the things in store and all that I know God is going to do in my time here. You have all made this possible and that's incredible.      Special thanks to everyone who has provided enough cards and letters of encouragement to last me my whole trip. I don't even know everyone that gave Brooke cards to give to me but I am so excited to open them. I know each of them will be divinely timed and I will receive so much from them. I get to open the first one Monday!       Church Family: I want to say thank you to everyone at LWC for being the most incredible and loving church family. I can't bel

Seven Year Dream

     Just in case you missed it. I finished my month of training with ISM and I am now at my internship. I am so thankful for my amazing month with ISM. I was able to learn so much and grow with an amazing group of people. The likelihood of falling flat on my face without the help of ISM would be much greater than it is now that I was able to spend that time in training and transition. However, I am so happy to finally be at Nightlight working and serving. I serve in the office as an office assistant, but within that role I am blessed to be able to do a number of different things. I do some data entry, work sales, clean the showroom, give tours, attend outreach, I have the opportunity to teach English once a week for some of the women, and I help with whatever else needs to be done.      Some times working in an office or cleaning a room can seem mundane and pointless, but when I truly stop and think about the reality of where I am and what I'm doing I find myself being blown away

Daydreaming to Training

1 Timothy 4:7-8 "Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."      Right before New Years I read this verse during my morning time with Jesus and as soon as I read it, it cut deep. As soon as I read it I knew that God was going to start working on me and speaking to me about everything this verse contained, if I was willing to let him. I wrote the passage down on a note card and tucked it into my Bible in a place I knew I would see it everyday. I would read it every day, pray it every day, and work on really applying it to my life.      If you click on over to the "about" page on this blog you'll find that I am a self-declared "avid daydreamer." I am someone who has, my entire life, lived somewhere on the line between reality and fiction. If asked t